Sunday, January 20, 2013

Love the Bod

You know what is weird? It's is weird that so many of us spend a lot of mental energy, time and money, trying to make our body fit some kind of fantastical version of what we want it to be. Whether it's through diet, makeup, exercise or fashion---so many of us (and I include myself) have been or are painfully dedicated to trying to 'right the wrongs' in physical selves.I'm not saying there is anything wrong with trying to look our best, but there seems to be a fine line from presenting the best version of ourselves and obsessing about what that best version is.

Today, I was taking a shower and when I got out, I thoughtlessly noted that my arms looked thick in the mirror. Me. A fitness instructor. I noted with a bit of annoyance that my arms 'looked' thick? Really? Wow. That is just not right is it? My arms and shoulders are muscular---not defined, but definitely muscular and strong. Why? Not only do I exercise for a living, but I am holding a baby a lot of the day, teaching, holding, moving....and I love that I can! Rather than feel a rush of gratitude for my wonderful shoulders and arms that do SO much, I felt annoyed with their look. Thankfully my mind can take over and slap away the stupid thought before I take it seriously, but it's sad to me that my impulse when I see my body is of a critical nature. I have been given a wonderful body. It's is not gorgeous by definition of popular media as I am short and stocky (as my husband lovingly likes to say). I do not possess unusual colored eyes (they are brown) or long thick eyelashes (seriously, can a person begin to bald in their eyelashes?)or amazing hair (brown and with split ends galore!). I do not have have long legs or a voluptuous chest (AA---and that might be generous) and there is a road map of scars all over my belly reminding me of the three pregnancy's that helped house 3 of my favorite people in the world, my sons. Oh and don't forget the 12 inch scar down my back from when I survived a 68 feet fall. Do you think that anyone would use that description for a heroine in a novel?

Well, luckily I recognize that what I do have is still pretty amazing. I have eyes that see....and can really 'see' those that I love. I have naturally curly hair that is easy to work with (and hides damage well!) and still look like I tried, even when I had just two minutes to do something with my hair. I have a strong body that could carry 3 babies to term while I continued to be as active as I wished. I have stocky legs that never seem too tired to dance and a heart and mind that really truly love life.

Me--8 mos pregnant about to teach Zumba (May 2012)
On top of that (can it get any better?) I also have a lot people to love and who love me back and that just makes everything and everyone beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment